Marie's Musings

Musings from the mundane day to day life of a mom of 9 to more serious ponderings of the day.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Neighborhood diner and hotel

I used to say a lot when the kids were small that I wanted our house to be the hang out spot when they got older. I wanted to be the one with the "cool house" and be the "cool mom"

Lets just say its harder than it looks. I discovered early on that Im not one of those moms that thrives on extra kids and the subsequent crazyness. So its a constant battle at times to say yes to a sleepover, to letting them eat over, to letting them hang out when all i want to do is say no freaking way.

It really is a good thing, getting to know your kids friends. Its just hard sometimes. So i fight my selfish nature and especially this summer Im trying to say yes as often as possible without losing my head in the process.

Im learning to still have my kids do their chores at chore time even when friends are over. Sometimes some of the friends pitch in(sometimes more than my own kids) somtimes they dont. I dont make a big deal out of it mostly. We generally have enough food, so its fairly easy to just set another plate at the table.

For my own sanity, i have instutited a few sanity saving rules. Like for instance, Wednesdays are declared no friends over days. That way I have a little break. Its also the day my friend comes over for moms group, so I also get some adult time as well. And Sunday night is family night, so no activities or going anywhere on sunday nights. The other thing that helps is having a definitive start and end time. That way I can prepare for the events of the day. Other than that, if their chores are done and I dont have doc appts or other things that take me out of the house, IM trying to say yes.

Last night we had two kids over for supper and subsequent sleepover. One is staying another night! Thats okay Im losing one of my own to a birthday party sleepover at a friends, so its all good :)

God is good ... all the time
MJ

1 Comments:

  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Tudu said…

    My kids don't have friends they can invite so I am jealous. I can't wait to say, "No!" LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home