Marie's Musings

Musings from the mundane day to day life of a mom of 9 to more serious ponderings of the day.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I know what I want to be when i grow up

For most of my childhood and young adult life, I wanted to be a teacher. It changed from elementary to secondary and back and forth. But I usually never wavered on the profession. I was a teacher in a private school for a short 6 months before i moved but beyond that i never finished my schooling for education.

Somewhere in my adult married life that goal changed. Sure Im still teaching, but its teaching manners, morels and how not to kill your siblings. So i no longer want to be a "teacher" in the public school sense. Although I sense my teaching as a parent wont be ending anytime soon.

I have waffled some over the past years in exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a OB nurse, a receptionist, a counselor for prolife clinics, work with the elderly or the developmentally disabled. But i could never quite settle on one thing. I was convinced I would take all the schooling and spend all the money and not like what i chose to do. So it seemed like a huge responsiblity and I just wasnt ready to go back to school ( I have an associates of arts and sciences currently).

I decided today after pondering and debating in my mind that I do want to get that nursing degree. Maybe I will be a nurse in a local ob clinic or at a group home for the elderly. Maybe Ill put those teaching skills to work in the nursing field. I dont know any of that yet but I do know taht I want to do this. I want to do it for me, I want to have those skill sets for when the kids are no longer in the immediate forefront of our lives.

How I will get there, and how many years it will take me, well ... thats still under advisement. But i have begun!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Awesome!!!! Just take one class at a time...little by little you'll get your degree, and still have time for your family too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home